McGregor/MacGregor/McGrigor, James

James McGregor was one of the sons to Captain Robert MacGregor of the Clan Alpin Fencibles and Anna Grant

Charles MacGregor 17th July 1801 Captain 90th (Perthshire Volunteers) Regiment of Foot;  First (Royal) Regiment of Foot and 3rd Garrison Battalion from 30th April 1807

Peter MacGregor, Lieutenant in the 17th (Leicester) Regiment of Foot killed whilst gallantly fighting in the breach of  the fort at Chumar, India 29th January 1807

Robert MacGregor

John MacGregor an Ensign 88th (Connaught Rangers) Foot Regiment fell in the murderous defeat during the assault of Buenos Ayres 5th July 1807

Andrew MacGregor, who died in infancy

James Macgregor joined the army as Ensign on 17th May 1807, on 23rd July 1807 he exchanged as Ensign to 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire) Regiment of Foot, he then joined the 17th (Leicester) Regiment of Foot, before transferring as an Ensign to 3rd Garrison Battalion 18th February 1808 and finally to 2/84th Foot as Lieutenant 16th October 1809

He joined the Regiment 25th December 1809 at Ipswich, to late for the Walcheren Campaign.

He did however sail and serve with the Battalion in the Peninsula campaign before returning to Ireland

Lieutenant James Macgregor was subject to a Courts Martial for embezzling the men’s pay from 1st to 24th July 1815 whilst on detachment at Shanagolden, Ireland. The money was embezzled from a sergeant, corporal and 19 men to a total of £30/16/4d.
He was tried at Limerick 11th September 1815 charged with embezzlement, misapplication of money, getting in debt and other irregularities. He was found guilty and dismissed from the service. All sentences of the Court Martial had to be approved by the Regent who pardoned him for the offences, allowing him to return to his former duty.

25th December 1815 their mother Ann MacGregor a widower was awarded a pension of £50 per year

He is shown as receiving £4/17/21/2d Peninsula prize money on 27th April 1816, the money being paid to his agent J&C Field

18th July 1818, Lieutenant MacGregor commanded a detachment of troops on the Convict  ship Shipley on its journey to New South Wales with 150 male convicts on board. They arrived at the colony 18th November 1818

In 1822 James signed the petition electing the Chief of Clan Gregor.  His oldest brother Charles signed above him  and the youngest brother, Robert, below. This document is on display at Stirling Castle –

7th February 1825, died at Delavor a farm about 2 miles south of Tomintoul, in present day Moray, where the family lived for about 200 years